Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Spiritual Chain Letter

Received this in the email and thought of sharing it with all of you.

Hi,

I'm Fr. Bob McConaghy of Greenbeltchapel ( Philippines ). I just want to make the point that the Catholic Church is opposed to spiritual chain letters, especially those that are rooted in the "gospel of prosperity" or God wants to make you rich and will do so if you forward such emails to 7, 12, 15 or as many names you have in your address book. It's idolatrous baloney. It claims legitimate devotion to Jesus, Mary, and or saints and frightens people to believe that if they don't send the letters something bad will happen to them.

I beg you please not to spread these messages anymore.

I've heard enough confessions in my 32 years to know how these letters fool and frighten people and give them a false image of Our Lady, not to mention that it encourages idolatry and a magical approach to religion. I am sure you were not aware of this and mean no ill will. There is no sin here on your part, you want good things for people and that is noble.

In all humility I would ask you to forward this note to others.

In Christ,
Fr. Bob McConaghy

No comments: